Current Job Openings
Posted March 1, 2021
CHIEF OF POLICE
The Town of North Wilkesboro, North Carolina seeks an experienced and ethical law enforcement officer to be its next Chief of Police. Candidates who meet the qualifications listed below are encouraged to apply.
Education, Professional Development, and Experience:
- Advanced Law Enforcement Certification from North Carolina’s Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Division or equivalent out-of-state certification.
- Documented history of professional development, with courses completed in all relevant areas (tactical, investigative, technical, legal, administrative, and outreach) of policing.
- Minimum of fifteen years of law enforcement experience; at least five years of strong technical and leadership experience in command or upper management of a public law enforcement agency.
- Candidate must possess a valid NC operator license and possess or be willing to obtain other related certifications and licensures as may be required by the Town or State of North Carolina.
Management Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- The ability to develop and enforce policies, procedures, and regulations to govern the work of the department.
- A reputation for active commitment to staff development and healthy employee relations.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and training new law enforcement officers.
- Familiarity with financial management, budget preparation, and fiscal control.
- Experience with data collection and performance management/benchmarking.
- The ability to develop and maintain records systems and legal documents that provide for the proper evaluation, control, and documentation of department operations.
- A track record of cooperation with other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
- The ability to direct and oversee the investigation of major and minor crimes.
- Unquestionable moral integrity and ethics on and off the clock; trustworthy and honest.
- Leads by example, and expects his/her example to be followed.
- A positive person who earns respect and is a teacher, mentor, and motivator.
- Does not make statements or take actions, professionally or personally, that cast doubt upon his/her ability to perform the job fairly and impartially.
- A person who can act quickly and decisively in an urgent situation, whose decisions are informed by experience and good judgement.
Compensation depending on qualifications.
The Town’s salary range for this position is $54,828 - $87,672. Statewide, the average police chief salary for a municipality this size is $75,162
The Town participates in the NC Local Government Retirement System and offers a benefits package which includes health insurance (BCBSNC, employee only), vision (employee only), paid dental (employee and family), 5% employer contribution to 401k, and longevity pay. Benefits also include the use of an assigned take home vehicle.
A comprehensive position profile is available at the following link: https://www.north-wilkesboro.com/DocumentCenter/View/873/2021-Police-Chief-Profile
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, town application, and contact information for four professional references by April 9, 2021 to: Town of North Wilkesboro, Attn: Town Manager, PO Box 218, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659 OR Townmanager@north-wilkesboro.com, subject: Police Chief Recruitment.
The Town of North Wilkesboro application for employment can be found at the following link:
No applicant for employment with the Town of North Wilkesboro shall suffer discrimination because of age, sex, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, political affiliation, marital status or any other legally protected class.