- Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation
2023 Lifeguard Certification
Classes will be held May 12, 13 and 14. Participants that successfully complete the three-day course and agree to work at Smoot Park Pool this season will receive the training free of charge. Those that need the certification for other employment will be required to pay the $250 certification fee.
For more information and a detailed schedule, contact Parks Director Nelson Martin at 336-838-3559 or 336-466-5257.
The Recreation Department coordinates a wide variety of activities within the Town and Wilkes County. Our facilities offer picnicking opportunities, exercise on the greenway, playgrounds and various sports fields and courts.
Parks and Facilities
- B Street green space and public restroom on Main Street downtown district.
- Highland Hills Park and Disc Golf Course.
- Kids in Parks TRACK Trails are located on the Yadkin river Greenway sections at Jefferson Turnpike, Smoot Park and Mulberry Fields.
- Memorial Park baseball, softball fields, concession stand and lighted tennis courts. Also features access to the Yadkin River Greenway and covered BBQ/Chicken-Q grill for use by civic clubs, churches and other non-profit groups.
- Smoot Park features a playground, basketball courts, picnic area and skateboard park. Covered Picnic area and pool are available to reserve for special occasions and parties. Contact Parks and Rec department for more information.
- Smoot Park Swimming Pool and splashpad are open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day at 202 Chestnut Street. Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday 10:00am to 5:45pm, and Sundays 1:00pm - 5:45pm. Daily are fees are $5 per person or a $50 Summer Pass per person. Kids under 15 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- StoryWalk® at Smoot Park is an innovative idea that brings books out of the library to outdoor community spaces. It gives children the opportunity to develop literacy skills while playing, and the whole family can partake in fun, healthy outdoor exercise.
- The Historic Jefferson Turnpike TRACK Trail is located at the end of 13th Street in North Wilkesboro. As you walk along the Reddies River, a 1.33 mile hike, you’ll immediately be interacting with nature and history. The trail was once the exact location of the Giant Lumber Company Log Flume. Now, this land is used part of the Yadkin Greenway. Take some time to identify trees, flowers, and even imagine the old log flume up above your head!
- Trout Fishing the Reddies River.
- Woodlawn Community Center and indoor basketball court. This facility is located at 1302 Second Street. To schedule use of the facility, please call 336-838-3359.
- Yadkin River Greenway
Seven and a half miles of greenway with trail-heads located at Smoot Park and Memorial Park.
- Yadkin Valley Marketplace. Home of the Wilkes County Farmers' Market, Concerts on the Deck and other events year round. Call 336-667-7129 for information on how to rent this great covered facility with stage, restrooms and a pocket park. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Parks & Recreation Advisory Board
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Board advises staff on updates and needs to the Parks and Recreation Department. They are a volunteer board that was created in 2000.
- Floyd Barber- Chair
- Tamera Shephard- Secretary
- Nancy Watson
- Jackie Chapman
- Susie Barber @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>